Certification - Requirements
The Board has a statutory obligationSection 901.252 to ensure every person engaged in the practice of public accountancy meets specific eligibility requirements.
The board shall issue a certificate to a person who meets these requirements:
- Pass a background investigation
- Pass the CPA Exam
- Meet the work experience requirements
- Pass an exam on the Board's Rules of Professional Conduct which will be emailed to you after you submit the application for issuance.
The Board conducts a background investigation on each applicant for the CPA certificate.
Select work experience to find out more information. The current requirements are for one year of full-time work experience under the direct supervision of a licensed CPA.
A passing score of 85% is required on the open-book examination on the Texas Rules of Professional Conduct. The examination is emailed to you when you pass the CPA exam.
In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, the following are also required:
- Application for Issuance of the CPA Certificate and fee
- Oath of Office
- Board-approved four-credit ethics course